SSC CGL is the abbreviation for Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level examination. The Staff Selection Commission conducts SSC CGL examination to recruit staffs to different posts in ministries, departments and organisations of the Indian Government. The SSC conducts the exam for staff selection for various Group B and Group C posts.
The SSC CGL is conducted for posts of:
- Assistant (Ministry of External Affairs)
- Assistant (Ministry of Railway)
- Assistant (Central Vigilance Commission)
- Assistant (Intelligence Bureau)
- Inspector (Central Excise)
- Assistant Section Officer (Central Secretariat Service)
- Inspector of Income Tax (CBDT)
- Inspector (Examiner)
- Assistant (Other ministries/ departments/ organizations)
- Sub Inspector (Central Bureau of Investigation)
- Sub Inspector (National Investigation Agency, NIA)
- Assistant (AFHQ)
- Inspector ( Central Bureau of Narcotics)
- Inspector (Preventive Officer)
- Assistant Enforcement Officer (Directorate of Enforcement, department of Revenue)
- Statistical Investigator Gr. II (M/O Statistics & Prog. Implementation)
- Divisional Accountant (Offices under CAG)
- Inspector of Posts (Department of Post)
The tentative dates for the SSC CGL exams are given below:
- Online registration commencement: February 2018.
- Final date of application submission: Mid of April 2018.
- SSC CGL tier-1 Admit card release date: May 2018.
- Date of SSC CGL tier-1 exam: May-June 2018.
- SSC CGL result announcement date: August 2018.
- SSC CGL Tier-2 Admit card release date: August 2018.
- SSC CGL Tier-2 Exam date: September 2018.
- SSC CGL Tier-2 Result announcement: October 2018.
- SSC CGL Tier-3 examination date: November 2018.
- Date of Computer skill test: December 2018 or January 2019.
The forms for SSC CGL 2018 exams will be available from March 2018. Candidates must visit the official website http://ssconline2.gov.in or http://sscregistration.nic.in and fill the required details in their application form. After filing the application form the candidates must take a printout of the duly filed application form.
The SSC CGL lays down the following eligibility criteria which the candidates are bound to follow.
The candidates must own a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline from any recognized university. Additional qualification requirement will be notified by the by the Staff Selection Commission as soon as the official notification arrives.
The Staff Selection Commission has notified the upper age limit as 30 years and lower age limit as 20 years. The previous age criteria were 18-27 years.
The basic requirement for appearing in SSC exam is that the candidates must be Indians.
Exam Pattern and Syllabus
The SSC exam pattern and syllabus changes every year. The 2018 exam pattern is also changed. The candidates must go through the changed exam pattern for all the 3 tiers. The changed exam pattern and syllabus for Tier-1, Tier-2 and Tier-3 is given below:
SSC CGL Tier-1 Exam Pattern
In Tier-1 phase there are 100 questions with 200 total marks. The 100 questions are further divided into 4 sections, and each section has 25 questions. For each correct answer the candidates score 2 marks, and for each incorrect attempt candidates score a negative marking of 0.5 marks.
|Exam sections||No. Of Questions||Marks|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50|
SSC CGL 2-Tier Exam Pattern
Candidates those who qualify the 1-Tier exam can appear for this phase. It is an online Mode examination in which candidates have to answer 3 papers. The third paper is optional for everyone except candidates applying for Statistical Investigator/Junior statistical Officer Post. Paper-1 is on English, Paper-2 is on Quantitative Abilities while Paper-3 is on Statistical Methods.
For English paper each correct answer scores 1 positive mark, while each negative answer deducts 0.25 from the total score. For Quantitative Abilities each correct answer has 2 marks and incorrect answers have a negative marking of 0.50. Same is the marking scheme for Statistical methods.
|Paper||Total no. Questions||Marks|
|Total Time||2 hours for each paper|
SSC CGL 3-Tier Exam Pattern
The candidates successfully qualifying the 2-Tier exam can appear for 3-Tier exam. This Tier checks the candidates’ writing skills. The candidates have to answer descriptive paper in either English/Hindi. The paper consists of passages or essays of 250 words or application writing of 150 words.
|Paper type||Descriptive Paper|
|Time Duration||1 Hour|
SSC CGL 4-Tier Exam Pattern
Candidates clearing the I, II, III are eligible for appearing for tier IV e4xam. The exam is simple from the previous tiers. Candidates in this phase have to clear Computer Proficiency Test (CPT) and then the candidate will pass the SSC CGL exam. Candidates have to type 8000 words in one hour or 2000 words in 15 minutes. This test is conducted to test the data entry speed test of the candidates.