The NDA – National Defence Academy is the Joint Services Academy trains cadets for all the three services, viz. The Army, The Navy and The Air Force. All the candidates from these three services train together before going in their respective academies for pre-commissioning training. The NDA is the world’s first tri-service academy. So in a nutshell, NDA recruits eligible candidates in Indian Defence Forces.
The NDA applicants are selected through 3 stages: Stage 1 is an UPSC or Union Public Service Commission conducted written exam which the candidates have to appear for; Stage 2 is interview conducted by SSC or Staff Selection Commission. Stage 3 is Medical Examination of the candidates. NDA holds this recruitment exam twice a year, first in the month of April and the second in the month of September.
The tentative dates for NDA Part I and II are given below:
|Events||NDA 1||NDA 2|
|Release of official notification||January 10, 2018||June 6, 2018|
|Application form availability||January 10, 2018||June 6, 2018|
|Final Date of online form Submission||February 05, 2018||July 02, 2018|
|Issue of Admit Card||1-2 weeks prior the exam date||1-2 weeks prior the exam date|
|Exam date||April 22, 2018||September 09, 2018|
|Final result announcement||May 2018||October 2018|
National Defence Academy releases online application. So aspiring candidates must visit the online website of NDA, for filling up Application form. NDA does not make Application Forms available in offline mode. The registration is done in two parts. In Part-I, candidates must fill the required personal, educational, communication details etc. Candidates will receive a Registration Number after completion of part-I registration.
Candidates need to use their registration number to start Part-II registration process. In part-II, candidates need to select their exam centres and pay for the application form. They need to upload a scanned copy of their photograph and signature. After successfully registering themselves, candidates must take a print out of their respective application forms.
The application fee for General and OBC candidates is Rs. 100/-. There is no provision for payment of fee for reserved categories like SC/ST/PWD candidates.
The National Defence Academy lays down certain eligibility conditions that the applicants must fulfil. So the candidates applying for the NDA exam must check out their eligibility status. The eligibility criteria are mentioned below:
- Candidates must be Indian, or
- A Subject of Nepal/Bhutan, or
- A Tibetan refugee who migrated into India before 1st July, 1962 with a motive to become a permanent resident, or
- A person of Indian origin who migrated from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Burma & East African countries like Uganda, Kenya, Zambia, Malawi, the United Republic of Tanzania, Vietnam, Zaire & Ethiopia to become permanent resident of India.
- Candidates belonging to 2, 3 and 4th category must have an Indian Government issued certificate.
- For ARMY: candidates must have completed their 10+2 level exam or equivalent.
- FOR Air Force & Naval: Candidates must have passed their 10+2 level or equivalent with the subjects Physics and Mathematics.
- For NDA-1, candidates born between July 02, 1999 and July 01, 2002 are eligible.
- For NDA-2, candidates born between January 02, 200 and July 01, 2003 are eligible.
Gender & Marital Status:
- Only unmarried male candidates are eligible.
- Candidates should be physically fit as per medical examination report.
The National Defence Academy has set the following exam pattern:
|Exam Mode||Pen and paper based|
|Time Duration||2 ½ hours for both the sections|
|Type of Question||Objective Type Questions|
|Language of the paper||Bilingual, i.e. both in English and Hindi|
|Negative Marking Scheme||Negative marking is applicable for wrongly answered questions.|
NDA releases admit cards of the candidates in online mode. So the candidates who have successfully registered themselves must visit the official website of NDA to download their admit cards. Candidates have to use their registration number and date of birth to download their respective admit cards. Candidates after downloading their respective admit card must take a print out of the same. Candidates unable to produce their admit cards will not be eligible to sit for the exam.